[postgis-users] (no subject)

marc.soutter at epfl.ch marc.soutter at epfl.ch
Thu Jul 15 04:22:08 PDT 2004

hello everybody

Got the same problems than reported by Bato Pure in installing postgis, with
Fedora 2 as well as with Mandrake 10 (almost standard basic installs on a dell
latitude 640). The error message looks like this :

postgres at localhost postgres]$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/psql -d gesro -f
/usr/local/pgsql/share/postgis.sql
BEGIN
        message
------------------------
 PL/PgSQL is installed.
(1 row)

NOTICE:  type "histogram2d" is not yet defined
DETAIL:  Creating a shell type definition.
psql:/usr/local/pgsql/share/postgis.sql:37: NOTICE:  type "histogram2d" is not
yet defined
DETAIL:  Creating a shell type definition.
ERROR:  could not load library "/usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpostgis.so.0.8":
libgeos.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
psql:/usr/local/pgsql/share/postgis.sql:37: ERROR:  could not load library
"/usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpostgis.so.0.8": libgeos.so.1: cannot open shared
object file: No such file or directory
ERROR:  current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of
transaction block
psql:/usr/local/pgsql/share/postgis.sql:42: ERROR:  current transaction is
aborted, commands ignored until end of transaction block

I do not remember how I got to this, may be just trying, but I noticed (and did
not understand why) that this problem may be solved with Fedora by installing
the tcl and tk resources and then compiling postgresql again using the
--with-tcl --with-tclconfig=/.../ option.
This did not work with Mandrake. However, the error does not occur if the
GEOS_USE option in the postgis makefile is set to 0. I guess something is wrong
with the library paths ?

Any explanations and advice are welcome.

Marc

PS. In both cases everything was intalled form the latest tarballs.