[postgis-users] pqsql75win

Martin Daly Martin.Daly at cadcorp.com
Thu Jul 15 08:37:06 PDT 2004

All,

I thought that you might be interested to know the results of some
benchmarks that we've been running.

We have a dual 1 GHz Xeon, 2 GB RAM, 8 x 73 GB SCSI disks server,
running Microsoft Windows Server 2003.  We put the OS and all software
on one physical disk, and the source data (Ordnance Survey MasterMap
stored as GZIP-compressed GML) on another separate physical disk.  Each
database instance is also on another separate physical disk.  We then
upload several different subsets of the OS MasterMap data, ranging from
~20,000 records to ~60 million records, into a single table.

We ran this with PostgreSQL 7.4/PostGIS 0.8.1 built using Cygwin, and
are now in the process of re-running the benchmarks with Mark
Cave-Ayland's native pgsql75win build.  The results so far (with tables
up to ~6 million records) are impressive.  Uploads are consistently ~1/3
faster (using identical Cadcorp software) with the native build than
with the Cygwin build.  When we've finished this round, we can re-run
the benchmarks with LWGEOM, which should in theory be faster still.

We have also run the benchmarks with Microsoft Access and Microsoft SQL
Server (both with OGC WKB geometry storage and Cadcorp-proprietary
spatial index), and with Oracle 9i Spatial, but I can't tell you what
those results were!

Regards,
Martin Daly
Technical Director