[postgis-users] problem with shp2pgsql

strk strk at keybit.net
Fri Jul 16 01:01:04 PDT 2004

On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 06:31:44AM +0200, Marie-Lise VAUTIER wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to use shp2pgsql to convert a shapefile and then load it to my db.
>
> So, I first create a table in my database:
>
> mydb=# CREATE TABLE rail();
> CREATE TABLE
> mydb=# SELECT AddGeometryColumn('my_db', 'rail', 'rail_geom', -1, 'GEOMETRY', 2);
> NOTICE:  Invalid schema name - using current_schema()
> CONTEXT:  PL/pgSQL function "addgeometrycolumn" line 4 at select into variables
> NOTICE:  Invalid schema name - using current_schema()
> CONTEXT:  PL/pgSQL function "addgeometrycolumn" line 4 at select into variables
>                                     addgeometrycolumn

>  Geometry column rail_geom added to table public.rail WITH a SRID of -1 and type
> GEOMETRY
> (1 row)

The first argument of AddGeometryColumn is no more the database, but the schema name.
If you don't care about schemas you can also omit it:

SELECT AddGeometryColumn('rail', 'rail_geom', -1, 'GEOMETRY', 2);

> and then I run
>
> [postgres at localhost postgres]$ shp2pgsql i5605r_p mydb > rail.sql
>
> and I get:
> shape is null

are you sure i5605r_p.shp does exist in current directory ?
What version of shp2pgsql are you using (recent versions print RCSID when called with no args).
What OS ?

--strk;