[postgis-users] query example??

strk strk at keybit.net
Fri Jul 23 12:24:31 PDT 2004

On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 10:51:20AM -0500, AGT wrote:
> Hey man thanks
>
> Only I need to do a query: how many points there are in a geological
> unit (obviusly an irregular polygon, as in nature), what is the syntax;
> Tried with your sentence and shows all the poinst, only need the points
> INSIDE the irregular polygon how can I obtain that, give me patience
> thanks

Your points table is named 'points'.
Your geological units table is named 'polys'.
Your geological identificator field is named 'id'.
Geometry fields are named 'the_geom'.

Here is your query:

SELECT polys.id, count(points.*) FROM points,  polys
WHERE points.the_geom && polys.the_geom AND
distance(points.the_geom, polys.the_geom) = 0
GROUP BY polys.id;

--strk;