[postgis-users] Very long time for a bbox/within query

Gregory S. Williamson gsw at globexplorer.com
Sun Jul 25 13:34:59 PDT 2004

Hopeless.

I rewrote the query to pick up the FIPS boundry so there is no subselect in either the bounding box or within queries.

After waiting 6 hours with one CPU pegged I killed the process.

There is something badly wrong with postGIS if it can't process one county (complicated but a legitimate multipolygon -- Bradford Florida, FIPS 12007) and a within statement for data set (some 4.2 million rows) in 360 minutes of processing time.

The "within" operation is clearly the dog -- the bounding box query works blindingly fast.

All I need to is if there is any overlap between a county and any of the detail data. Apparently postGIS cannot tell me this.

Looks like we have to migrate back to Informix, which at least can produce answers.

;-(

Greg Williamson
DBA
GlobeXplorer LLC