[postgis-users] general postgreSQL

Darren Houston dhouston at beyondcompliance.ca
Sun Jun 6 22:21:28 PDT 2004

Hello Eric,

Sorry for the late reply.

I had a deadlock problem with a JDBC application in Resin. Turns out that on
my RedHat 9 system, when I started X, after 2 days Resin would lock up. Only a
reboot would release   everything
(http://www.speculation.org/garrick/kill-9.html for a good quick tutorial on
killing processes). Kill -9 would have probably worked but I found reboot
enabled me to start PostgreSQL again (plus a reboot might be easier on a
system than a whole whack of kill -9's, but I could be wrong). I did a stack
trace (look up strace) and found out there was a call to a sleeping time
process that was not waking up so Resin couldn't write a timestamp to
PostgreSQL and hung the pool, or something like that. I am by no means an
expert in this area, so something I say could be wrong. I want to help you
because I know how frustrating it is when nobody has the answer and you don't
know how to go about solving the problem. A fix to my problem, don't start X.

Hope this helps some,

Darren H.