[postgis-users] general postgreSQL

Eric.Hillmuth at anr.state.vt.us Eric.Hillmuth at anr.state.vt.us
Mon Jun 7 14:38:18 PDT 2004

Thanks for the reply Darren;

For lack of a better option I upgraded to postgresql 7.4.2 and postGIS 0.8.2. but this
didn't seem to help. I still get:

LOG: could not bind IPv4 socket: Address already in use
HINT: is another postmaster already running on port 5432. If not, wait a few seconds
and retry.

5432 opens when the postmaster starts up and closes when the postmaster shuts
down. I'm using "postmaster -D data -i" for startup and "pg_ctl stop -D data -m fast"
for shutdown. Things should be as clean as can be so I'm not sure what its
complaining about. I'd be interested to know if anybody on the list is running SUSE
8.4?

On 6 Jun 2004 at 23:21, Darren Houston wrote:

> Hello Eric,
>
> Sorry for the late reply.
>
> I had a deadlock problem with a JDBC application in Resin. Turns out that on
> my RedHat 9 system, when I started X, after 2 days Resin would lock up. Only a
> reboot would release   everything
> (http://www.speculation.org/garrick/kill-9.html for a good quick tutorial on
> killing processes). Kill -9 would have probably worked but I found reboot
> enabled me to start PostgreSQL again (plus a reboot might be easier on a
> system than a whole whack of kill -9's, but I could be wrong). I did a stack
> trace (look up strace) and found out there was a call to a sleeping time
> process that was not waking up so Resin couldn't write a timestamp to
> PostgreSQL and hung the pool, or something like that. I am by no means an
> expert in this area, so something I say could be wrong. I want to help you
> because I know how frustrating it is when nobody has the answer and you don't
> know how to go about solving the problem. A fix to my problem, don't start X.
>
> Hope this helps some,
>
> Darren H.
>

> Eric.Hillmuth at anr.state.vt.us wrote:
> >
> > Thanks Darren;
> >
> > That postmaster.pid file cleans up at shutdown and port 5432 closes too. How
should
> > I go about looking for a connection pool deadlock?
> >
> > On 27 May 2004 at 18:28, Darren Houston wrote:
> >
> > > Hello Eric,
> > >
> > > One thought;  If PostgreSQL crashed and postmaster.pid is residing in your
> > > PostgreSQL data directory, this might give the same error (just speculation).
> > > With postmaster off there should be no postmaster.pid. If this is the case and
> > > postmaster is off, delete postmaster.pid and try starting PostgreSQL again.
> > > Also, I have had connection pools deadlock that seem to keep a perpetual
> > > strangle hold on PostgreSQL, disabling a clean shutdown/restart.
> > >
> > > HTH somewhat,
> > >
> > > Darren H.

Has