[postgis-users] FOSS GIS suite project? (was Mandrake GIS)

Tyler Mitchell tjmitchell at riverside.bc.ca
Wed Jun 16 15:47:35 PDT 2004

> What do you think about virtual package. Many distribution offer this
> option (Mandrake and Debian do, other probably). When you install a
> virtual package, you install all the dependencies of this virtual
> package (other package like MapServer, Grass, ..., ..., ...) and you
> configure them. I don't have to redo work that was previously done.

I think that is the general idea.  Many users don't want to (and can't)
deal with shared libraries, compiling from source.

> It will be very important to have a workplace. Which web site or
> organisation can given complete tools for building this suite ?

Sourceforge is a natural option, though I'd say it's open for discussion.
Any suggestions?

May I suggest we drop this discussion from the Postgis user list and keep
it on Freegis, since many of us are on both lists?

Tyler