[postgis-users] Line_interpolate point with multilinestring

Scott Ellington scottellington at comcast.net
Sat Jun 19 16:05:23 PDT 2004

Greetings all,

I have just compiled the newest version of PostGIS (8.2) to test out the
line_interpolate_point function.  I am interested in using this for
geocoding, but when I try to use this function against my tiger data I
get the following:

scottell=# select line_interpolate_point(the_geom,0.5) from
road_100_tiger ;
ERROR:  line_interpolate_point: 1st arg isnt a line

I assume this is because my geometry is of type MULTILINESTRING instead
of LINESTRING.  Is it possible for me to use my multilinestring data in
this function?  If not, my thinking was that perhaps I could extract the
LINESTRINGs on the fly.  Is there any built-in functionality to do this?

thanks in advance,

Scott Ellington