[postgis-users] spatial index and GEOS

skoehler at buschjena.de skoehler at buschjena.de
Thu Jun 24 02:56:18 PDT 2004

Hi,

I have created an spatial index on an polygon and an multiline table. Now
I will get all lines intersects an polygon.
First using postgis with: select * from p, m where p.the_geom &&
m.the_geom and p.num=1;
The explain statement shows me that the spatial index is used --> fine

Second I'am using GEOS: select * from p, m where
intersects(p.the_geom,m.the_geom) and p.num=1;
The explain statement shows me that all is done with seq_scan --> bad

How is the spatial index used with GEOS functions? Is there an other way
to use an spatial index with GEOS?

Thanks
Steffen Koehler