[postgis-users] Rounding off coordinates

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Thu Jun 24 07:26:50 PDT 2004

<SOAPBOX>
You've identified a problem that is pervasive in the GIS community.

Entirely too many people attempt to use all the precision offered by
their application, GPS device, or survey, without understanding the
limits of accuracy of the data.

While I'm a strong proponent of recording spatial coordinates to the
extents of their accuracy, I'm similarly a proponent of appropriate
management of the error terms to not infer extended accuracy in cases
where we have no basis.

What does your metadata say about the limits of the data?  If you're
getting cm. horizontal accuracies from your GPS data (easily done with
survey techniques) report the data to that degree.  If you're using a
consumer-grade receiver, I'd be leary of reporting data past the 6-m
accuracy limits routinely demonstrated for autonomous position.

If you're working off cadastral data derived from conventional survey
data, the extent of accuracy should be recorded on each platte.

The list goes on.

Error management is taught in first-year chemistry and physics in the
universities here, but is frequently lost on the students.  We need to
be mroe diligent.

</SOAPBOX>

Sorry.  We return you to your regular programming.

Gerry