[postgis-users] Rounding off coordinates

Gino Lucrezi gino-postgis at lucrezi.net
Thu Jun 24 01:17:21 PDT 2004

Hi all!

Since all coordinates are stored as double precision floating point numbers, they carry a great number of digits.

I know it is good to store them, because they help mitigate error propagation in many cases.

However, when displaying results, it is not really useful to show decimals up into the nanometer range. I'm sure noone's GIS data is SO precise :-)

SQL has the TRUNC and ROUND functions for scalar data. Is there any similar function for geometric data?

Gino Lucrezi
Penta Consulting Services Srl