[postgis-users] WKB to native geometry using BULK COPY

Ryan Proulx Ryan.Proulx at safe.com
Thu Mar 4 16:02:05 PST 2004

Greetings,

I am curious how I can use the COPY commands to insert literal geometry data. Currently this works with WKT by specifying the geometry as:

'srid=<srid>;<the_geometry_as_wkt>'.

However, I would like to do the same thing using WKB. Any ideas on how that might successfully be done?

It seems I will have to get an SRID and a WKB geometry, in hex preferably, and combine the two to form a single hex literal to be inserted directly into a column of type GEOMETRY.

When I am using single INSERT statements instead of the COPY commands I use the 'geomfromwkb' function to combine the SRID and WKB hex string, so I guess what I really need to know is how this is accomplished and likely what the native underlying geometry looks like.

Regards,
ryan