[postgis-users] MySQL-PostGIS performance comparison

David Blasby dblasby at refractions.net
Fri Mar 5 09:29:53 PST 2004

The performance evaluation I did of MySQL's spatial component showed
that MySQL was either significantly slower in some cases to slightly
faster in some.

These differences may have been due to how the disk cache was being used
(they were run on the same machine).

If were were to tell me MySQL's non-trasactional tables were 10-20%
faster than Postgresql's transactional table, I'd believe them.  But, I
dont believe its 1000% faster!

It sounds like there's something wrong with your query....

dave