[postgis-users] Yet another installation problem - and PostGIS translator

Ryan Proulx Ryan.Proulx at safe.com
Wed Mar 24 09:14:14 PST 2004

Chris,

Thanks for the tip. At this point I have already solved the issue at hand and everything is working fine once I started from scratch again and aquired more disk space in the typical location (/usr/local/pgsql).

As for a translator for PostGIS, Safe Software has already added PostgreSQL/PostGIS to the list of 100+ formats that can be read and written by its FME product. The PostGIS Reader/Writer in particular is about a year old though it has been recently updated to support schemas and some non-PostGIS concepts like writer mode and enhances metadata retrieval.

If interested: http://www.safe.com/products/fme/formats/index.php

If only I could get answers to the WKB geometry questions I have posted I could surely write a faster PostGIS writer than at present using WKT. Then again I guess you have to balance the performance of the PostgreSQL COPY command and inserting WKT versus individual insert statements of WKB geometries. I think we would end up leaving users the choice.

Regards,
ryan