[postgis-users] Poor performance

David Mitchell david.mitchell at telogis.com
Mon May 3 16:53:32 PDT 2004

> This says that its only taking 0.7 seconds - thats pretty good for
> pulling 23,000 random rows off disk.

Ok, I'll give you that. But once those rows are in the page cache it
should be a lot faster. The times you've got are for the cached run (the
first time it is a lot slower).

> You could try re-building the index:

Not sure that that would help, this table hasn't changed since it was
first indexed.

> The next step would be to get faster drives or RAID them - whats the CPU
> doing during the query (if its not high, you're IO bound)?

This is running off two 10,000 rpm SATA drives in a striped RAID
configuration. But again, this should be much faster for the cached run.

--
David Mitchell
Software Engineer

NOTICE:
This message (including any attachments) contains CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION intended for a specific individual and purpose, and
is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient,
you should delete this message and are hereby notified that any
disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the
taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.