[postgis-users] Spatial overlay & SRID help

Wood Brent pcreso at pcreso.com
Wed May 5 18:06:34 PDT 2004

I want to take two postgres tables, both with a PostGIS polygon geometry, and
select the areas where selected polygons from each overlap, to generate new
polygons and calculate the areas of the overlap.

I believe a select intersection(geom1, geom2) from ... where....;
 will return the new boundaries.

(Let me know if I'm wrong or there are any gotcha's with this I should know of)

Is there a difference between the area & area2d functions?

For the area calculations, I'm near the south pole.

My data is imported from e00 files from NOAA, Polar Stereographic projection
with the standard parallel at 60S. What SRID should I use, or do I need a new
one?

I assume that as I'm using projected coords, the areas returned will be
geographically correct, true?

Thanks,

  Brent Wood