[postgis-users] general postgreSQL

Darren Houston dhouston at beyondcompliance.ca
Thu May 27 17:28:37 PDT 2004

Hello Eric,

One thought;  If PostgreSQL crashed and postmaster.pid is residing in your
PostgreSQL data directory, this might give the same error (just speculation).
With postmaster off there should be no postmaster.pid. If this is the case and
postmaster is off, delete postmaster.pid and try starting PostgreSQL again.
Also, I have had connection pools deadlock that seem to keep a perpetual
strangle hold on PostgreSQL, disabling a clean shutdown/restart.

HTH somewhat,

Darren H.