[postgis-users] How do I create a georeferenced tiff file...

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu May 27 21:07:21 PDT 2004

Paul Ramsey wrote:

> Free your mind, and the rest will follow...
>
> Every image you create with mapserver is georeferenced by nature. When
> you ask mapserver for an image with a particular extent, that image is
> georeferenced -- it is an image and it has the spatial extents you asked
> for. Throw the extents into a world file and voila, instant
> georeferenced image. Write a script that hits mapserver with a request,
> writes a world file to disk, and writes the returned image to disk.
> Voila, georeferenced images. If you want TIFF (or any other supported
> gdal format) as your image format, you can use the OUTPUTFORMAT clause
> in your mapfile. See the mapserver reference docs for more information
> on that.

Hi,

I would just add to Pauls statement that if you do write something like TIFF
via GDAL it will include the georeferencing information (and coordinate system
if defined on your map) in the result making it a proper GeoTIFF file.

Of course, for formats like png or jpeg where the georeferencing would be in
a seperate world file the georeferencing is not carried along.

Best regards,