[postgis-users] Spatial Query Benchmarks?

Craig Miller craig.miller at spatialminds.com
Fri Nov 19 10:09:10 PST 2004

I was only offering the Web App up as an example.  The same approach applies
regardless of the type of application.

- Identify a reasonable set of use-case based scenarios.
- Create a multi-threaded (or multiple single threaded) application that can
execute these scenarios in parallel. Preferably one that is controlled via a
config file.
- Play with the numbers in the config file.  E.g. number of simultaneous
users, size of AOIs, etc.
- Log the time to fulfill each request with 10, 20, 50, 100, 200, 500, 1000
simultaneous users.
- Log any requests that time-out
- Log any requests that are answered incorrectly.
- Mine the data

The program could be as simple as a shell script executing psql.  If there
is a client application, then it is best to write the tests on top of at
least the data access objects portion of the application.  The higher up in
the application you can hook your tests in the better.

How are your users accessing the database?  Psql, c app on libpq, java app
on top of geotools?

--Craig