[postgis-users] 3d semantic / binary predicates

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Wed Oct 6 04:01:46 PDT 2004

I realized I was confused about the topic (dumb me!).

The problem is that postgis does not really support 3d,
but just a z value on each point.

This means that any postgis (and OGC) areas is a plane,
possibly NOT parallel to the ground but still a plane.
An exception is using polygon holes, which make
a collection of trapezoids (dunno the word in english)
formed by connecting segments of the holes and the outer
ring.

This means you cannot have a BOX3D as a 3-dimensional
polygon geometry. So envelope3d(geometry) is IMPOSSIBLE
to encode !

Would GEOS do better ? Thats a good question !
(I don't think so)

--strk;