[postgis-users] First experience with PostGIS, ArcGIS 9.0 and Data Interoperability Extension

Stepan RYBAR xrybs01 at seznam.cz
Fri Oct 8 06:06:53 PDT 2004

Hello!

We tried to directly read data from PostGIS.

SERVER:
a) PostGIS (output from postgis_full_version()) is POSTGIS="0.8.2"
GEOS="2.0.0" PROJ="Rel. 4.4.8, 3 May 2004" USE_STATS DBPROC="0.0.1"
RELPROC="0.0.1".
b) Microsoft Windows NT 5.1 (known as XP) Professional

CLIENT:
a) ArcGIS 9.0
b) Data Delivery Extension, build 1378
c) Microsoft Windows NT 5.0 (known as 2000) Professional

We enable this extension both in ArcCatalog and ArcMap and check PostGIS
module in DDE. Then we setup connection to PostGIS (supposing running
postmaster with "-i" parameter and allowing client computer to connect
to PostGIS via TCP/IP in pg_hba.conf). In ArcCatalog we see all spatial
tables (types of Polygon, Polygon, LineString). After loading data into
ArcMap we can see spatial and attribute data of that layers. So reading
data is fine (load, search, identify). I do not know, how to find, if
ArcMap load all into its memory of continuously work with data in
PostGIS. During identifying items from layer, there were log entries in
PostGIS log like:

NOTICE:  postgis_gist_sel called
NOTICE:   search_box overlaps 4.000000 cells
NOTICE:   avg feat overlaps 31.935064 cells
NOTICE:   SUM(ov_histo_cells)=0.043720
NOTICE:   gain=0.250000
NOTICE:   selectivity=0.010930
NOTICE:   returning computed value: 0.010930

So I suppose it can mean, that ArcMap work with data, not only dump all
layer into memory. So, with reading we were successfull.

But we were not successful with writing. We can not start editing, just
because Start Editing item in ArcMap was inactive. Has anybody any
experience with editing data stored in PostGIS in ArcMap using DDE?

Stepan

Stepan Rybar
e-mail: xrybs01 at seznam.cz
mobil: +420607636256