[postgis-users] Anti-meridian and polar polygon question

Richard_D_Levine at raytheon.com Richard_D_Levine at raytheon.com
Thu Oct 21 06:48:09 PDT 2004

In a feeble attempt to amuse his dog, Ken Tenaka wrote:

"does anyone know of other spatially enabled databases that can also do
this, either free or commercial?"

This comes from an Oracle forum where somebody else asked exactly the same
question:

 From: Oracle, Gary Smith 02-Mar-04
 21:00
 Subject: Re : Oracle Spatial and
 geodec behavior

 Oracle Spatial's geodetic model allows
 customers to specify geodetic
 geometries that span the 180 meridian,
 and also geometries that encompass a
 pole (for example a polygon geometry
 that follows the 70 degree latitude
 line could represent a polygon that
 looks like a hat that covers a pole).

 When associating a geodetic SRID with
 a geometry, Oracle uses great circle
 distances between consecutive points
 that define the geometry.

 For linestrings, Oracle will always
 choose the smaller great circle
 distance when evaluating consecutive
 points in a geodetic linestring.
 Oracle Spatial rules enforce that no
 two consecutive points in a geodetic
 linestring can be equal to or greater
 than 1/2 the distance of the great
 circle apart. You can define a
 linestring where the sum of the
 distances of all the linesegments that
 make up the linestring exceeds 1/2 the
 Earth's great circle distance.

 Similar for polygons. A polygon
 element associated with a geodetic
 SRID will choose the direction around
 the world that is associated with less
 than 1/2 the surface area of the
 Earth. Outer rings still need to
 maintain counter clockwise direction.
 Inner rings or voids are specified in
 a clockwise direction.

 Oracle Spatial rules enforce that no
 polygon element in a geodetic polygon
 can have a surface area equal to or
 greater than 1/2 the surface area of
 the Earth. You can define a polygon
 where the sum of the polygon element
 areas that make up the geodetic
 polygon exceeds half the surface area
 of the Earth.

 Hope this helps. Thanks.

 Gary

|---------+--------------------------------------------->
|         |           "Ken Tanaka" <Ken.Tanaka at noaa.gov>|
|         |           Sent by:                          |
|         |           postgis-users-bounces at postgis.refr|
|         |           actions.net                       |
|         |                                             |
|         |                                             |
|         |           10/20/2004 02:12 PM               |
|         |           Please respond to PostGIS Users   |
|         |           Discussion                        |
|         |                                             |
|---------+--------------------------------------------->
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                              |
  |       To:       postgis-users at postgis.refractions.net                                        |
  |       cc:                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  [postgis-users] Anti-meridian and polar polygon question                     |
didn't see this question asked before. Are polygons that cross the
anti-meridian (international date line) or encircle the poles allowed?

For example is it valid to define a 2x1 degree Pacific box with lon,lat
coordinates of 179,0 -179,0 -179,1 179,1? Could I then expect to get
correct area calculations or select other geometry within 100km of this
area?

(text diagram, use monospaced font)
       180
179,1   :   -179,1
  +----------+
  |     :    |
  +----------+
179,0   :   -179,0

I was also wondering if PostGIS can similarly deal with a polygon that
goes around a pole, like the coastline of Antarctica?

The Informix DB with the Geodetic Datablade option handles these, but
does anyone know of other spatially enabled databases that can also do
this, either free or commercial? I'm involved with a system design team
that is monitoring GIS capabilities available.

Thanks,
Ken

--
= Geospatial Data Services Group ==================
| CIRES, National Geophysical Data Center / NOAA  |