[postgis-users] ArcGIS Data Interoperability Extension

Guy Carpenter guyc at atgis.com.au
Wed Oct 27 22:37:21 PDT 2004

> by the way, I understood that ArcGIS 9.0 was
> supposed to read gis data from postgis.
> Is it true ?

ArcGIS 9.0 does read from PostGIS, via
wthe Data Interoperability Extension.

The extension can be trialled free for 30 days, although
be warned that when I reinstalled ArcGIS my 30
day trial was abruptly terminated at about day 2.

Some observations from my (brief) trial:

- Basic functionality works: I was able to view
both tables and views defined in PostGIS
and work with them as layers in ArcGIS.

- I could not get table browsing working in the extension,
but specifying a table name explicitly when creating the
connection in ArcCatalog worked fine.

- After defining a new PostGIS connection in ArcCatalog,
and dragging and dropping it into ArcGIS, my polygon layers
were incorrectly shown in ArcGIS as point layers, and
appeared empty.  After restarting ArcGIS
the layers were correctly seen as polygon files.  I had
to restart ArcGIS each time I defined a new table
or view.

- Once (in a few hours of experimenting) ArcGIS generated
an exception and died.

- Performance seemed adequate - slower than a shape file,
but certainly acceptable.

So in summary the extension works with PostGIS,
with a few bugs that are not show stoppers.

I also spent some time examining the ole db
provider with ArcGIS 9 + PostGIS.  I was able to make
a connection through
	ArcCatalog->Database Connections->Add OLE DB Connection,
but never able to get any data
to flow.  The connection appeared to authenticate
okay, but no tables are accessible.

After reading this thread, I think I'll
have a look at PgArc.

Cheers,