[postgis-users] installing postgis on debian testing (sarge)

Kevin Murphy murphy2 at speakeasy.net
Sat Sep 18 08:42:04 PDT 2004

I'm having problems installing postgis properly on debian testing.  If
there's any way I can help packages for geos, proj4, postgresql, and
postgis become a well-coordinated reality for debian, I'm pretty
motivated (although I don't know anything about debian packages ;-).

I'm having the famous problem:
---
$ psql -d geo -f postgis-lib.sql
BEGIN
        message
------------------------
 PL/PgSQL is installed.
(1 row)
psql:postgis-lib.sql:47: NOTICE:  type "histogram2d" is not yet defined
DETAIL:  Creating a shell type definition.
psql:postgis-lib.sql:47: ERROR:  could not load library
"/usr/lib/postgresql/lib/libpostgis.so.0.9": libgeos.so.2: cannot open
----

I followed directions at:

http://edseek.com/archives/2004/03/31/installing-postgis-on-debian-gnulinux/

but had to supplement them since they didn't deal with proj4 or geos.

Here is where my libraries are:
/usr/lib/postgresql/lib/libpostgis (0.9, installed from source)
/usr/local/lib/libgeos.* (2.0.0, installed from source)
/usr/lib/libproj.* (4.4, installed from 'proj' package)
/usr/lib/postgresql (PG 7.4.5, installed from 'postgresql' package)

When I built postgis I changed the Makefile so that
GEOS_DIR=/usr/local
and
PROJ_DIR=/usr

I think I'm close here, since the libraries just have to find each
other, seemingly.

Thanks a lot!

Kevin Murphy