[postgis-users] PointM, PolyLineM, PolygonM, ...

Pierrick Brihaye pierrick.brihaye at culture.gouv.fr
Thu Sep 23 06:19:54 PDT 2004

Hi,

strk at refractions.net a écrit :

> Ok. So your vote is: respect semantics, even if it's a waste of space.

Definitely !

>>BTW : how would you consider a missing Z coordinate ? A "null" (i.e.
>>"not applicable") behaviour would be very nice, but wouldn't it make the
>>stuff more complicated ?
>
> I guess you mean a missing M coordinate...

No, a real Z coordinate. For example, TypeM <-> X,Y,?,M

> I'm afraid it'll have to be 0.0 as NaN coordinates are invalid.

That was the question :-) No objection from my part : I consider this
design as being better than to map M to the third coordinate.

Any other advice ? This point of design looks crucial, doesn't it ?

Cheers,

--
Pierrick Brihaye, informaticien
Service régional de l'Inventaire