[postgis-users] postgis newbie - loading data

Emil Zegers taatuut at planet.nl
Thu Apr 21 10:57:46 PDT 2005

Hello Alec,

For ESRI shapefiles you can use the shp2pgsql utility that comes with
PostGIS.

This tool converts shapefiles to PostGIS readable SQL which you can then
import with the psql tool.

Another possibility is to use the OGR tool ogr2ogr but this seems to give
problems with newer PostGIS versions when the shapefiles lachk z-data (or
maybe I'm missing something).

More info about psql en shp2pgsql can be found at
http://postgis.refractions.net/docs/ch04.html and info about OGR can be
found at http://ogr.maptools.org

Regards,

Emil