[postgis-users] ms4w and postgres+postgis runing on Win 2003 x XP.

Mark Cave-Ayland m.cave-ayland at webbased.co.uk
Fri Aug 5 00:53:20 PDT 2005

Hi Andre,

There should be no problems with using ms4w under Windows 2k3, however
please please do *not* use the MS4W Win32 PostgreSQL 7.5/PostGIS
installation on the MS4W download page on a public server. Since I first put
the package together, there have been a number of security fixes, in
particular fixes that prevent the server from running as an Administrator
user which caused me to withdraw the original ZIP file. Also, as PostgreSQL
7.5 turned into 8.0, a lot of new features/changes were added which means
that getting support from the PostgreSQL people will be almost possible.

For any new installation, my recommendation is to use the official
PostgreSQL installer, install without PostGIS 0.9.x and download the latest
Win32 PostGIS 1.0.X release from http://www.webbased.co.uk/mca/. If
possible, I would also wait until next week when the 1.0.3 release comes
out, which will fix a serious bug in the bounding box calculations.

Kind regards,

Mark.

WebBased Ltd
17 Research Way