[postgis-users] Problem with pgsql2shp .dbfs

Frank Koormann frank.koormann at intevation.de
Fri Aug 26 02:40:49 PDT 2005

* Matthew Perry <perrygeo at gmail.com> [050825 19:20]:
> Hi,
>
> On 8/25/05, Frank Koormann <frank.koormann at intevation.de> wrote:
> > In short: I think this is a bug in the underlying shapelib (dbfopen); as
> > a fast solution you might surpress the output of the SVG_GEOM colum with
> > a crafted query.
> >

>   Thanks for helping me understand this. For now we'll just cut out
> the SVG_GEOM column using a view.
>
>   By the way, what application are you using to investigate the dbf?
> And are the dbf limitations you mentioned documented anywhere in an
> official spec? Or is it just one of the things you've just got to know
> ;-)

http://www.clicketyclick.dk/databases/xbase/format/

is a source for the specs.

Since the format is quite straight forward I investigated the file with
'vim' and 'od', after I had a first look applying the dbfinfo from the
shapelib [1] and my own tool (dbf2txt [2]). This first look pointed to
the difference in interpreting the field size.

Best regards,

        Frank

[1] http://shapelib.maptools.org/
[2] http://www.usf.uni-osnabrueck.de/~fkoorman/software/dbftools.en.html