[postgis-users] shp2pgsql segfault and gdb

Jorg Heymans jh at domek.be
Mon Aug 29 05:45:40 PDT 2005

strk at refractions.net wrote:
> What architecture are you running the loader from ?

I tested on 2 hardware configs, both fail.
- dual P3 , 750MB ram running slackeware 10
- dual opteron 246, 4GB ram running gentoo (64bit). Note that on this
architecture I get a slightly more descriptive errormessage before the
segmentation fault :

Shapefile type: Arc
Postgis type: MULTILINESTRING[2]
MULTILINESTRING 3065 as 1 vertices, set to NULL
*** glibc detected *** double free or corruption (!prev):
0x000000000050d800 ***
Aborted

> What RCSID does shp2pgsql report when run w/out arguments ?

RCSID: $Id: shp2pgsql.c,v 1.88.2.5 2005/07/27 02:47:06 strk Exp $

> Can it be you end out of memory ?

The shapefiles in question are all fairly large (500MB+), but i have no
problems importing other files of similar size. I also tried cutting up
the files in smaller parts of around 100MB each, same thing happens.

HTH
Jorg