[postgis-users] COPY too slow when geometry column is indexed

Rick Schumeyer rschumeyer at ieee.org
Fri Dec 2 12:51:08 PST 2005

I attached a plot of the COPY times, showing how things slow down as
more files are added.  Each file contains over 200,000 records.

I added a second drive to my system, and moved the WAL to the new drive,
per a discussion on the pg-performance list.  It helped a little, but not
enough - see the attached plot.

Here is the table structure:

bed=# \d data
      Table "public.data"
 Column |   Type   | Modifiers
--------+----------+-----------
 rid    | integer  | not null
 range  | real     | not null
 x      | real     |
 y      | real     |
 z      | real     |
 bs     | real     |
 snr    | real     |
 rvel   | real     |
 cfar   | smallint |
 geom   | geometry |
    "data_pkey" PRIMARY KEY, btree (rid, range)
    "data_rid_ix" btree (rid)
    "geom_index" gist (geom)
Check constraints:
    "enforce_dims_geom" CHECK (ndims(geom) = 2)
    "enforce_geotype_geom" CHECK (geometrytype(geom) = 'POINT'::text OR geom
IS NULL)
    "enforce_srid_geom" CHECK (srid(geom) = 2959)
Foreign-key constraints:
    "data_rid_fkey" FOREIGN KEY (rid) REFERENCES record(rid)