[postgis-users] About Invalid OGC WKT Error

Markus Schaber schabios at logi-track.com
Fri Feb 4 01:27:32 PST 2005

Hi, Paul,

Paul Ramsey schrieb:
> It appears that findsrid is failing for reasons unclear. Oh, wait, do
> you have valid entries in geometry_columns for your tables/geocolumns?
>
> I swear to god, one of the stupidest things we did in PostGIS was
> enforce SRID coherence in queries. It is "for your own good" but the
> extra maintenance overhead totally makes it not worthwhile. Better just
> to blindly assume the user knows what they are doing. This way it is
> trivially easy to make a system that is broken for no obviously visible
> reason.

Maybe the best compromise would be to make SRID -1 (no SRID) a special
case. Allow operations between equal SRIDs, and between any SRID and -1.

This should put away most of the annoyances, but still hinder the users
to accidentally work with incompatible SRIDs (they still can reproject
them if needed, or use setSRID() if they know what they do).

Markus

--
markus schaber | dipl. informatiker
logi-track ag | rennweg 14-16 | ch 8001 zürich