[postgis-users] help needed with GEOS & other errors on postgis query

Brent Wood pcreso at pcreso.com
Tue Feb 22 11:10:55 PST 2005

--- strk at refractions.net wrote:

> There might be a memory leak in the length function.
> What PostGIS version are you using ?
> --strk;

0.8 from memory.

To narrow down where the error was happening I tried:

select distinct set_date from sets; > date.txt

while read date ; do

psql ... (same sql but includes where set_date = $date )  >> output

done < date_txt

This iterated through a few hundred dates & completed with all the length &
overlay apparently working fine.

So you may be right, and reducing the numer of records (by about 1:300) per
iteration for PostGIS/Postgres cut down the memory issue.

I've got the answer I needed without any error msgs, but the single query still
fails, & I can't see why. Both the GEOS & length operations are the same in
both cases, the only difference I can see is the number of records involved in
each case.

Leave it for now or file a bug report? (I'm trying to get our IT staff to
upgrade the versions of everything, but it's an uphill battle!!)

Thanks,

  Brent Wood