[postgis-users] Crash when creating index on ( int, geom )

Markus Schaber schabios at logi-track.com
Fri Jan 21 08:42:16 PST 2005

Hi, Robin,

Robin Chauhan schrieb:

> The effect I want is that the performance of spatial queries for items
> (which are points) in one pool, are not affected much by the how many
> items there are in other pools.

How many pools do you have?

If you have a relatively small, fixed number of Pools you could try
conditional indices, like:

CREATE INDEX mytable_pool1_idx USING GIST ON mytable(geom
GIST_GEOMETRY_OPS) WHERE pool=1;
CREATE INDEX mytable_pool2_idx USING GIST ON mytable(geom
GIST_GEOMETRY_OPS) WHERE pool=2;

The query optimizer should get it when your query includes a "pool=2" or
so in the WHERE clause.

This may be an equal solution for your problem (but nevertheless, you
should try to debug the reasons for your crash).

HTH,
Markus

--
markus schaber | dipl. informatiker
logi-track ag | rennweg 14-16 | ch 8001 zürich