[postgis-users] Differences between postgis on Windows and Unix?

Benjamin Thelen thelen at ccgis.de
Fri Jan 28 10:48:33 PST 2005

strk at refractions.net wrote:
> The missing columns in geometry_columns are due to postgresql 8.0
> making them unneeded (it supports used-defined statistical analisys).

Hi,

Ok, not surprising that this hasn't happend accidently. :-) So this is
not a Windows/Unix thing, I'll maybe face the same while upgrading my
Unix machines to pg-8. :-(.

> You should first install postgres, then postgis, then restore the
> dump (and this last step whould give you the warnings/errors).

Well, I'm not sure what's going on. After removing the last three
values (instead of adding the missing columns) of the INSERTs from
geometry_columns within the "Unix/PG7-dump", the dump went through, of
course complaining about existing functions, etc. and I was able to
see data from WinPG-8 for the first time! Cool, although I further
prefer Unix.

But what would be your migration guide line to the user? Editing the
dump? Adding the missing columns?
The first could be problematic in case of a dump of a big size, e.g. 3
GByte! Probably the second way should do it, too, then without the
need of opening a huge dump.

I succeeded by using Win-postgis 0.9.1, not the 0.8.x dilivered with
WinPG-8. Don't know if that's a matter.

Thanks,
Ben