[geos-devel] Re: [postgis-users] Error compiling PostGIS + GEOS

Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov
Wed Jul 6 12:44:19 PDT 2005

Chip,
      Is selinux enabled on your system?  When compiling on a fedora core 3
box, I had to temporarily disable selinux before using the ldconfig command
to add the geos libraries to the libary path, even though they were in
/usr/local/lib .
Doug

Doug Newcomb
USFWS
Raleigh, NC
919-856-4520 ext. 14 doug_newcomb at fws.gov

The opinions I express are my own and are not representative of the
official policy of the U.S.Fish and Wildlife Service or Dept. of Interior.
I left my signature file in /dev/null

             Chip Masters
             <chip_masters at yah
             oo.com>                                                    To
             Sent by:                  PostGIS Users Discussion
             postgis-users-bou         <postgis-users at postgis.refractions.
             nces at postgis.refr         net>, GEOS Development List
             actions.net               <geos-devel at geos.refractions.net>
                                                                        cc
                                       chip at cyc.com, charon at cyc.com
             07/06/2005 03:31                                      Subject
             PM                        Re: [geos-devel] Re:
                                       [postgis-users] Error compiling
                                       PostGIS + GEOS
             Please respond to
               PostGIS Users
                Discussion
             <postgis-users at po
             stgis.refractions
                   .net>

GEOS and PostGIS users,

Since I last posted on this thread about my
installation problems, we upgraded our OS to SuSE 9.2
with the 2.6.8-24.16-default kernel. Also, for the
record, we are using gcc version 3.3.4.

Now after installing PostgreSQL 8.0.3, PostGIS 1.0.1
with the flags set in Makefile.config to include PROJ
and GEOS:

> USE_PROJ ?= 1
> PROJ_DIR ?= /usr/local
>
> USE_GEOS ?= 1
> GEOS_DIR ?= /usr/local

I try to do

> psql -f lwpostgis.sql -d test

from within the postgis-1.0.1 install directory, and I
get this error:

> psql:lwpostgis.sql:36: ERROR:  could not load
library > "/scratch/pgsql/lib/liblwgeom.so.1.0":
libgeos.so.2: > cannot open shared object file: No
such file or
> directory

I notice that the liblwgeom.so.1.0 library doesn't
link to the geos or proj libraries:

> postgres at cyc11:~/lib> ldd liblwgeom.so.1.0
>         linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xffffe000)
>         libstdc++.so.5 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5
> (0x40067000)
>         libgeos.so.2 => not found
>         libproj.so.0 => not found
>         libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1
> (0x40125000)
>         libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/libc.so.6 (0x4012d000)
>         libm.so.6 => /lib/tls/libm.so.6 (0x40243000)
>         /lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2
> (0x80000000)

even though both libgeos.so.2 and libproj.so.0 are
present in /usr/local/lib.

Can anyone help here? Should the PROJ_DIR and GEOS_DIR
variables in the Makefile.config point to
/usr/local/lib instead of /usr/local?

Thanks,

Chip Masters