[postgis-users] PostGIS schemas

Gustavo Henrique Sberze Ribas gribas at cpqd.com.br
Tue Jul 12 04:10:48 PDT 2005

Hello,

> a. Why is it that after logging on as a particular user/schema owner, I
> can list ALL of the tables, regardless of the schema they  belong to? (I
> suspect that since both products work the same that it is a PostGIS /
> PostGreSQL anomaly, not problems with uDig or Quantum GIS?)

 Because both programs list all the entries in the geometry_columns table.
Since geometry_columns is in the Public schema, any user has access to
it (usually).
 The geometry_columns table acts as a reference to all spatial tables
in your database. An entry is automatically created when you invoke
addGeometryColumn(...) on a table.

--
Gustavo