[postgis-users] Request for open postgis datasets

Chip Masters chip_masters at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 13 14:36:23 PDT 2005

Thanks for the pointers, Stephen. The NationalAtlas
site is a treasure trove of the kind of stuff I need.
I've been using the GNIS for a few years, but now want
to convert it to a SQL92 With Geometry Types compliant
database, but the metadata at

http://geonames.usgs.gov/GNIS.html

doesn't specify completely what the SRS should be. It
only says

> Spatial_Reference_Information:
>   Horizontal_Coordinate_System_Definition:
>     Geographic:
>       Latitude_Resolution: 0.00028
>       Longitude_Resolution: 0.00028
>       Geographic_Coordinate_Units: decimal degrees

but doesn't specify a datum to use. It seems that most
of the datasets I found at the National Atlas ftp site
use NAD83. Does anyone know for sure which one the
GNIS uses?

Chip

--- Stephen Woodbridge <woodbri at swoodbridge.com>

http://keck.library.unr.edu/data/esri_data&maps/esri.html