[postgis-users] Interested in PostGIS for a replacement to ArcSDE

Guy Carpenter guyc at atgis.com.au
Thu Jul 14 19:53:15 PDT 2005

I looked into this a while ago, and at that time (at ArcGIS 9.0)
you would have had to license the Data Interoperability
Extensions for your ESRI ArcGIS 9.0 clients to be able
to access PostGIS.

That extension was going to cost us AU$2500 per seat, and it
had a number of obvious bugs, so it was not an attractive
route.

With the 9.1 release, ESRI have bundled the Data Interoperability
Package into the core product - no extra licensing fee.
Also Safe Software (authors of the Interop. extension)
were busily working on fixes to the bugs in the extension last year.

I haven't tried using PostGIS from ArcGIS 9.1, but it sounds like all of the
pieces may be in place to make it work.

Cheers,
Guy Carpenter
Atherton Tablelands GIS