[postgis-users] Help, What am I missing gist_geometry_ops column???

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Tue Jul 19 08:30:55 PDT 2005

Hi all,

I'm try to create a postGIS table in a schema and it is mostly working,
but I am having trouble building an index.

1. loaded the postGIS extensions and spatial references into schema
"public" like normal

2. created tables and loaded the data in my own schema like:

### Drop the table if it exists
echo "DROP TABLE swoodbridge.rgeo;" | psql -U pgsql -h localhost dev

### Define the table so we can load data into it
FILE=`ls e*/*.shp | head -1`
shp2pgsql -p -s 4326 -g the_geom $FILE swoodbridge.rgeo | psql -U pgsql
-h localhost dev

### Append each of the files to the table
for FILE in e*/*.shp ; do
     shp2pgsql -a -s 4326 -g the_geom $FILE swoodbridge.rgeo | psql -U
pgsql -h localhost dev
done

The above all works and looks ok.

3. tried to create an index:

dev=# create index rgeo_gidx on swoodbridge.rgeo using gist (the_geom,
gist_geometry_ops);
ERROR:  column "gist_geometry_ops" does not exist

I seem to have missed a critical step, but not sure what.
Any help would be appreciated.

-Steve