[postgis-users] bring PostGIS into the raster world

Axel Orth axel_orth at gmx.de
Sat Jul 23 01:33:48 PDT 2005

Hey,
Every once in a while this topic comes up but there seems no definitive
answer if and how to store raster data in the postgresql/postgis database.
Way back in the march of 2003
[http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-users/2003-March/002179.html]
this topic was huge for the last time and ended with this statement by
Paul Ramsey:

>What needs to be done to bring PostGIS into the raster world? We would
>need to revisit the CHIP and think about issues around visual raster and
>data rasters, to try and support both types reasonably. We would need
>some support functions for doing common operations like mosaicking and
>pyramiding in the database. We would need a good data loader. And we
>would probably need some good thought on the "best" way to store raster
>data, in terms of schemas, attached metatdata, etc. And we would would
>need to do up a Mapserver connector so people can visualize the darn
>stuff. A WCS server would be good too.
>
>IE, there's alot of work there. How many people are all that interested
>in raster storage?

What happened to this approach?

A lot of GIS support a connection to postgis so that the users can add
vector data stored there to their GIS project as easy as loading a shape
file stored on their local hard drive.
Is this possible with raster data now?

Regards
Axel Orth