[postgis-users] Getting started with Java

Ehud Shabtai eshabtai at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 06:33:02 PDT 2005

Hi,

I'd like to start using postgis from Java.
I've been reading some material in the net but I still got some questions:

What is the best way to read and write Geometry objects?
I need to perform some GIS calculation and so I guess I need JTS to do
that. I noticed that the opengis Java driver doesn't support JTS (it's
beta), so I found wkb4j which seems to do what I need. However, I'm
not sure how can I encode a JTS Geometry object to a wkb format for
writing new objects to postgis.

Are there any other alternatives for Java? Any alternatives for JTS
which work with the postgis Java driver?

Thanks,

Ehud.