[postgis-users] Latitude and longitude distances

Vacuum Joe vacuumjoe at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 26 22:48:16 PDT 2005

Hello,

I'm new to PostGIS.  I have what I hope is a basic
question.  I have a database with many locations in
it.  These locations are all specified by latitude and
longitude.  I need to be able to do things like select
all the rows that are within a certain radius of a
given latitude/longitude.  The results don't have to
be precise, and the radius will never be more than a
few miles.

I assume this type of use is perfectly within what
PostGIS can do, but I can't figure out how to store
lon/lat data and do searches on it.

If there are any docs or examples you could point me
to, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks