[postgis-users] Can't build GIST index on table with > 5, 000, 000 rows

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Wed Jul 27 20:24:08 PDT 2005

Chip,

One issue is that you are creating you POINT with (Lat, Long) and you
should be creating it with (Long, Lat). If you fix that and it works
make sure you write a bug up on it.

Secondly, in your script you might be able to eliminate the helper
function and just do something like this:

update gns set the_geom = SetSRID(MakePoint(dd_long, dd_lat), 4326);

Which should create the point for every row in the database without
using all the string manipulation stuff and should be quite a bit faster.

-Steve W.
  http://imaptools.com/