[postgis-users] New within problem

Martin Davis mbdavis at VividSolutions.com
Thu Jul 28 09:53:27 PDT 2005

Whoops, that was a typo.  It should have read:

"running the given test case in JTS returns g1.within(g2) = true. "

In any case, your identification of the difference between the binary
points solves the problem - the geometries are different.

I'm amazed that a difference in such a high-order bit doesn't show up in
the WKT.  I always figured that displaying 16 digits or so from
floating-point pretty much displayed all the bits of the FP number.
This calls for some more investigation to improve my intuition!

I'm thinking about the HEX-WKB I/O...  In general, I think the real
answer is not to expose zillions of digits of precision, but to
encourage users to use a reasonable precision grid.  56 bits is waaaay
more precision than most data really has.  Also, the more "free" bits
there are in coordinate values, the more robust the geometric
computation is.

Martin Davis, Senior Technical Architect
Vivid Solutions Inc.      www.vividsolutions.com
Suite #1A-2328 Government Street Victoria, B.C. V8T 5G5
Phone: (250) 385 6040 - Local 308 Fax: (250) 385 6046