[postgis-users] Vacuum analyse ERROR: Operationon twoGEOMETRIESwith different SRIDs

Mark Cave-Ayland m.cave-ayland at webbased.co.uk
Tue Jun 21 02:12:19 PDT 2005

Hi Markus,

> Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
>
> > Having mixed SRID geometries in a column is, of course, completely
> > non-sensical since the results of any spatial query could
> be invalid.
>
> I don't think so, I can imagine several possible uses of
> mixing SRIDs in the same column.
>
> One could query by other columns, and get the resulted
> geometry. Or have two columns, one containing the original
> geometry as received from outside with whatever SRID they
> use, and the second one containing the WGS84 representation.

OK that's a fair enough use case...

> I do not know whether we really are in the position to tell
> users that this is all nonsense.

Yeah I did point out that it was a personal opinion in one of my posts. I
tend to write applications that are very strict, and as a result I prefer
something that breaks on me than on a user out in the field. I would still
be tempted to code it using a view, just so that it would help indicate to
other developers that the column has no spatial meaning...

> We are in the position to tell them that this is currently
> not supported, however :-)
>
> Maybe the best short-term solution would be to forbid the
> generation of indices on mixed SRID columns, but make ANALYZE
> stable enough to cope with everything it stumbles over.

Going forward this shouldn't be a problem, as from 8.0 we control the
ANALYZE anyway :) I was just a little concerned that we have to drop SRID
checks on *some* operators just to get ANALYZE to work on earlier PG
versions :(

Kind regards,

Mark.

WebBased Ltd