[postgis-users] About OGC SFS Specification, PostGIS and topology information of features

Sergey Karin sergey.karin at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 01:13:26 PDT 2005

Hi.

first of all sorry for my english. :(

As we know, PostGIS based on Open Geospatial Consortium's Simple
Features for SQL specification. So, geometry attribute of a feature is
presented as separate entity. And if we have two touched geometries,
we must store duplicate information about they coordinates.
That is right. But...

There are some topological vector formats (arc-node topology). S57,
E00, for example. In that formats feature is not the owner of its
geometry. So, if we want to convert data from that formats to postgis
format we must "construct" geometry of a feature from arcs and nodes
on which the feature have links. The method is used, for example, in
OGR library. And ALL topology information is lost. OGR is based on OGC
SFS too.

So, my question is: are there any plans to store and work with
topology information of features if it have that? I understand, OGC
SFS not supported that... But I think it will be good idea...

Sergey Karin