[postgis-users] Ready for 1.0.0 ?

Markus Schaber schabi at logix-tt.com
Thu Mar 3 12:55:24 PST 2005

Hi, Mark,

Mark Cave-Ayland schrieb:
> The only change I've had to make so far is to change RUNCP and BUILDCP to
> use semi-colons instead of colons - otherwise the building under Windows
> fails. I don't know if it's possible to build some of this functionality
> into the Makefile or to just simply make a note of it in the comments
> somewhere.

I'll see if it works with ; on Unixoid with all our environments. (Alex,
Strk, everyone else: can you test this in your environments?)

If yes, I can change the Makefile to use ; everywhere.

If not, I could make it configurable via variable. BTW, are environment
variables working on Windows as they are on Unixoid systems?

> Another thing: I've compiled the JARs as standard using a 1.4 JDK. However
> the notes on jdbc.postgresql.org aren't particularly clear as to which
> versions to use. In particular, it notes that JDBC1 is obsolete with
> PostgreSQL 8.0. What do you think would be the best way to compile the jdbc2
> driver? I'm thinking of compiling with a -target 1.3 option, and including
> the resulting standard/debug JARs in the Win32 installer?

Well, this naming "jdbc2" is just somehow misleading. I just checked in
an updated README file, containing the following additional explanation:

| * It is called jdbc2 - does it work with jdbc3, too? *
|
| The current naming is somehow unfortunate. The directory simply is named
| jdbc2 because it is the successor of Paul Ramsey's original jdbc
directory,
| which still exists in CVS. So, the naming does not refer to SUN jdbc
| standard releases jdbc-1, jdbc-2 or jdbc-3.
|
| Please note that the PostgreSQL JDBC driver itsself is released in
| several flavours for different JDBC relases and sun JDK releases, but
| currently, the same postgis.jar should work with all of them. If not,
| you clearly found a bug, and we kindly ask you to report it.

To your compiling question: classfile compatibility is something I did
not have in mind yet, but you're right. Newer java compilers tend to
produce class files that do not work fine with older JVMs.

If the postgresql jdbc driver you deliver with your installer only runs
with java 1.3 or newer, or you document this as requirement, then I
think -target 1.3 is a reasonable decision.

BTW, I successfully compiled postgis using JAVAC="jikes-sun -target 1.1"
 for java 1.1 compatibility. :-)

>>I think we should make as much testing as possible.
> Agreed. I must admit I haven't looked at the regression tests in a long time
> to see what coverage they give us, but I'm hoping that passing the
> regression tests should be a good enough indication that PostGIS works on a
> particular platform.

Don't forget that there are some some tests in the java directory, too.

You can use "make alltests" to run them, they test both client and some
server functionality, but you will have to set up the database
connection info via environment or makefile. I think this will be the
first Windows tests for postgis jdbc :-)

Markus

--
Markus Schaber | Dipl. Informatiker | Software Development GIS

Fight against software patents in EU! http://ffii.org/
                                      http://nosoftwarepatents.org/