[postgis-users] loading shapefiles into postgis db

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Fri Mar 4 07:15:56 PST 2005

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 04:12:24PM +0100, Markus Schaber wrote:
> Hi, Shaq,
>
> strk at refractions.net schrieb:
>
> >>Here is what happened when I used that approach;
> >
> > As long as you get "shape is null" nothing will get fed to psql
> > so there's no point checking out...
> > First you should get something read and parsed...
> > Do you have files actually called COUNTY_region.shp and COUNTY_region.shx ?
>
> And, possibly, a COUNTY_region.dbf file for the non-geometry columns?

A missing .dbf should be cleanly handled.
Unfortunately the shapelib uses some heuristics internally to find real
names (adding .SHP, .shp and the like...) and isn't much more explicit
about what the problem is.
New loader tryis to be more informative than "shape is null", using
"shape (.shp) or index files (.shx) can not be opened." instead.

--strk;