[postgis-users] Odd explain analyze estimates?

Mark Cave-Ayland m.cave-ayland at webbased.co.uk
Fri Mar 4 08:54:17 PST 2005

Hi strk,

It's good to hear that the JOIN selectivity estimator is doing something
useful :) My concern is that we found that the existing algorithm does not
work particularly well on sub-selects because the RESTRICT function called
as part of a nested-loop plan for joins currently needs to know the number
of rows in a relation, and we do not know this for subqueries.

I think if this is going to be a problem in the common Mapserver case then
we should disable it until I get a chance to work on it again. As you
suggested, undefining REALLY_DO_JOINSEL should stop RESTRICT being called in
this way and give a more reasonable default behaviour (does this also change
the CREATE OPERATOR definition so that it uses the default JOIN selectivity
for &&?)

Kind regards,

Mark.

WebBased Ltd